Monday, June 4, 2012

Noisy Neighbors

I took a trip to Jetty Park this weekend to spend the day at the beach. I brought my camera along, hoping to catch sight of some terns, gulls, skimmers, or shorebirds, but all were surprisingly absent . On the way to Jetty Park, I was passing through the small streets of Cape Canaveral when I encountered a whole lot of brightly hued feathers, and a whole lot of noise.


I stopped to take a photo of two Peacocks walking down the side walk when a nice woman on a bike told me to take a ride through her adjacent neighborhood if I wanted to see more Peacocks. Following her advise, we made our down just one of the streets and counted over 30 Peacocks! On fences, in trees, on patios, there were Peacocks everywhere! And did I mention the noise? The Peacocks' unmistakable mating cry-like cry could be heard resonating throughout the area.


In one yard, I noticed 5 male Peacocks displaying their feathers. A few minutes later I figured out why...


This lone Peahen was resting nearby, seemingly unimpressed by all the fancy feathers being flashed her way.


Peafowl (Peacocks and Peahens) are not native to Florida, but this flock has reportedly been residing in the Cape Canaveral area for more than a hundred years. Some believe that the Peacocks may have originated from a Peacock farm that existed long ago near the Banana River.

37 comments:

  1. Wondefull colors and pictures.

    greetings, Joop

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, really nice photos Tammy. I really like the first one though. Great detail and color in that close-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Peacocks, male or female, they look so good. And, what about their sounds, lovely. You are a brilliant photographer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Bob! The Peacocks are quite lovely.

      Delete
  4. Native or not, aren't they beauties. Your photographs are superb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Preciosas fotos del pavo real ¡qué colorido!
    Saludos!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! i couldn't imagine hearing that din for days/weeks on end! they are loud! but beauty comes at a price, i suppose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't either! It was quite loud; I guess the people must be used to it...

      Delete
  7. All that noise could quickly become annoying if you had to hear it constantly and I know peacocks can be quite noisy. Your photos are beautiful! Love the close up shots and the wonderful catch-light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian! They are quite loud indeed, times that by 10-20 nearby...

      Delete
  8. Wow!!!.. Lovely pictures Tammy.. Beautiful bird.. I think one of the most beautiful birds in the world .. Peacock .. Cheers..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only just found your site, awesome pictures! I look forward to seeing more of Florida's diverse bird population.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Rosemary! I appreciate your comments!

      Delete
  10. Geniales Tammy como todo tu trabajo. saludos desde Extremadura.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tammy
    Very nice pictures on the Peacocks.
    It must have been a wonderful experience to see so many Peacocks at the same time.
    Greetings / Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful rich colors and images Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How pretty! We'll be in the neighborhood again on the way to the ship. I hope we get to see them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Tammy!
    Lovely pictures of this stunning bird.
    Greetings from Sweden
    /Ingemar

    ReplyDelete
  15. espectaculares imágenes de un ave impresionante
    saludddddddd

    ReplyDelete
  16. absolutly beautiful.We have some down south here too, in a few neigborhoods. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very beautifully done indeed Tammy - I love the huge plumage in the background on the make bird.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely photos of this "exotic" bird (at least for us in Sweden)!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a beautiful bird. We will be in the neighborhood in a few days. Hope we are lucky as you to get some great images.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome captured, Tammy. Peacocks and peahens seem to be common here in Florida. There are several at a nearby park but I can't imagine living close a muster of 30 loud crying Peacocks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful shots of the beautiful peacocks and peahen.
    What a sight it must have been.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, noisy but amazingly beautiful!! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well I guess they are considered an asset rather than an invasive species then!
    Your photos are truly fantastic and believe it or not, I still have to manage pics of these magnificent birds! LOL!
    Cheers Tammy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bellas tomas de este Pavo Real, con muy buenos encuadres y primeros planos.

    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate your comments!